Re: Redirection of STDERR

From: Christoph Pleger
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 02:52:27 EST

Hello,

> >> In my initialization scripts for hotplug (written for bash) the
> >> following command is used to redirect output which normally goes to
> >> stderr to the system logger:
> >> "exec 2> >(logger -t $0[$$])"
> > I don't remember this syntax as legal.
>
> That's the process substitution feature of bash, quite handy when you
> want to get an fd connected to a pipe.

I found out that the problem exists with bash 2.05b, but not with 2.05a.
The reason is that with 2.05a the command uses the file descriptors
under /dev/fd0 for the pipe, but with 2.05b the command creates a pipe
under /tmp. Obviously, the 2.05b mechanism worked with Kernel 2.4, but
not with 2.6.

Christoph