Re: Framebuffer with nVidia GeForce 2 Go on Dell Inspiron 8200

From: James Simmons
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 20:16:20 EST

> 1. The vga framebuffer works. I can even bring the monitor to 800x600
> in tweaked VGA mode.

Cool :-) I assume you mean the vga16fb driver.

> 2. The VESA framebuffer does not work. Apparently, the card is not
> detected as VESA-compatible. (I'm not 100% sure about this --how can
> I check if this is indeed the case?)

Are you sure. Take a look at your vga= parmeter. What is its value?

> 3. The Riva framebuffer doesn't work either. It detects the video
> card all right, understands that I'm running on a laptop and thus
> with an LCD monitor, but as soon as I "touch" it (be it even just
> with a fbset -i to find the information), the screen goes blank or
> has some very funny graphical effects (fade to black in the middle,
> etc). The system doesn't lock up (I can still blind-type and reset
> it), but I can't use it.
>
> Does anybody know what could be wrong?

That is a bug in fbcon layer. Now that I have my home system back up I
plan to test my radeon card to track down the bug that was preventing the
layer from properly resizing the screen.