Re: 2.6.4-mm1

From: jlnance
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 08:42:38 EST

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:31:40PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> This affects I/O scheduling potentially quite significantly. It is no
> longer the case that the kernel will submit pages for I/O in the order in
> which the application dirtied them. We instead submit them in file-offset
> order all the time.

Hi Andrew,
I have a feeling this change might significantly improve the external
sorting benchmark I emailed you ( http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/12/20/46 ).
I will try running it when I get a chance and let you know. It gives me
a good excuse to get 2.6 kernels working on my systems :-)

Thanks,

Jim

--
www.jeweltran.com