Re: 2.6.4-mm1

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 18:31:02 EST

Anton Blanchard wrote:

- The CPU scheduler changes in -mm (sched-domains) have been hanging about
for too long. I had been hoping that the people who care about SMT and
NUMA performance would have some results by now but all seems to be silent.

I do not wish to merge these up until the big-iron guys can say that they
suit their requirements, with a reasonable expectation that we will not
need to churn this code later in the 2.6 series.

So. If you have been testing, please speak up. If you have not been
testing, please do so.

I sucked sched-* out of mm, added sched-ppc64bits (attached) and am
having problems with the following threaded test case. NUMA is enabled.

#include <pthread.h>
#define NR_THREADS 100

void dostuff(void *junk)
{
while(1)
;
}

int main()
{
int i;
pthread_t tid;

for (i = 0; i < NR_THREADS-1; i++)
pthread_create(&tid, NULL, dostuff, NULL);

dostuff(NULL);
}

100 runnable threads but we never use more than one cpu:

OK thanks. This is probably a simple bug somewhere. I'll have a look
at it soon.