Re: [Announce] Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 802.11b driver

From: Lincoln Dale
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 19:33:50 EST

At 03:31 AM 11/03/2004, Timothy Miller wrote:
Hmmm... As you may know, I'm a chip designer...

Are there not open specs on the wireless protocols? Could we not design our own open-source wireless network hardware? What would the US government have to say about an open-source implementation? Are there patents which would impede us?

the issue is one of "current generation" radio units, as used in 802.11a/b/g are typically very programmable, and in many cases, can both send & receive on frequencies well outside of the standard 802.11a/b/g 2.4GHz and 5.4GHz bands.

i'd hazard a guess and say that this is the primary reason for the concern in releasing true "open source" for the firmware.
potentially, the equipment could be used outside of the range of frequencies that it is intended for (and indeed FCC certified for).

i know of at least one radio that can snoop other frequencies such as police/emergency services/ ...

cheers,

lincoln.