Re: SMP + Hyperthreading / Asus PCDL Deluxe / Kernel 2.4.x 2.6.x /Crash/Freeze

From: Len Brown
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 01:29:58 EST

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 19:42, Richard Browning wrote:

> > > Switched CPUs. This time I get the following:
> > >
> > > CPU3: Machine Check Exception: 000.0004
> > > CPU2: Machine Check Exception: 000.0004
> > > Bank 0: a20000008c010400
> > > Kernel Panic: CPU context corrupt
> > > In idle task - not syncing
> > >
> > > Note that the CPU# designations are swapped and that there's only one
> > > Bank 0: message. Is this significant?
> >
> > Ok, but that's still on the same package so it's not moving with the
> > processor, thanks. Could you also supply processor info from
> > /proc/cpuinfo.
>
> I suppose that's good (for me); indicates no hardware error?

MCE == hardware error.
In this case un-recoverable.

I'll take a swing at decoding this, call the Coast Guard if I don't
return in 30 minutes;-)

http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium4/manuals/25366813.pdf

> Machine Check Exception: 000.0004

fig 14-4 says this means that indeed, you have a valid MCE.

> Bank 0: a20000008c010400

fig 14-6 says:
63: valid register contents
61: UC -- processor did not correct the error
57: PCC -- Processor context corrupt (you're dead)

0400 is the MCA error code

fig E2 says
10 - internal watchdog timeout.
26,27 -- TT -- Thread timeout indicator -- both threads timed out

> /proc/cpuinfo of course:
>
> processor : 0
> vendor_id : GenuineIntel
> cpu family : 15
> model : 2

I have no idea what causes this error, but it sure sounds specific to
the processor, and specific to HT -- which matches your experiments.
I'd imagine that after you verify that you've got the latest BIOS for
the board and the error persists that you should look into getting that
specific processor replaced.

cheers,
-Len