RE: 2.6.3 userspace freeze

From: Anders K. Pedersen
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 05:53:31 EST

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestion - I had the following in my updatedb.conf:

PRUNEFS="devpts NFS nfs afs proc smbfs autofs auto iso9660"

so I have just added:

PRUNEFS="$PRUNEFS ncpfs supermount vfat udf usbdevfs devfs usbfs sysfs"

Of these, the only active one is sysfs. I will give it another try with
these settings to night. However, while you're correct that top shows
updatedb in D state in the latest test (in the mail dated 2004-mar-12
09:47 - crashed at 04:02:21) as well as the first one I submitted (mail
dated 2004-mar-10 10:13 - crashed at 04:02:33), the one in between (mail
dated 2004-mar-11 01:46) doesn't as it crashed at 01:26:32, and updatedb
doesn't start until 04:02 as part of cron.daily. Also, when I originally
upgraded this server to 2.6.3 it rebooted four or five time during the
night, before we downgraded it to 2.4 again, and updatedb couldn't have
been the cause for more than one of these. One thing, I will try though,
is to run updatedb manually with and without the additions above to see
if it triggers the deadlock immediately.

Regards,
Anders K. Pedersen