Prism54 in 2.6.4-bk2

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 17:21:02 EST

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 03:30:58PM -0500, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:39:32PM +0000, Andr? Ventura Lemos wrote:
> > ChangeSet@xxxxxxxxxxx, 2004-03-12 12:55:33-05:00, jgarzik@xxxxxxxxxx
> > [wireless] Add new Prism54 wireless driver.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 17:08, Margit Schubert-While wrote:
> > > In case nobody noticed, the driver is in 2.6.4-bk2 !
> > >
> > > Margit
>
> Hmm. Now what? Should we create a new set of automated patchsets against the latest kernel
> snapshot? Or just not worry about that and keep on happilly with our stable kernel
> patches?
>
> The prism54 driver snapshot that went into bk2 could be marked as our
> first testing snapshot... If so, we could also start a new ChangeLog.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Luis

I just checked out the bk2 snapshot and its diffs with our latest
prism54 tree. Here is the diff:

http://prism54.org/~mcgrof/bk2-up.diff

It seems jgarzik took a patch before 2004-03-09 changes and just nuked
WDS code. It's great that it's already on some official kernel snapshot
patch but prism54 driver project is a very active project and I think
someone jumped the gun. We were preparing the driver for proper
integration per the nevdev list discussion. Anyway, now onto dealing
with it.

Regarding WDS on prism54: on the netdev list we discussed this
but no one got back to me as to whether we should really just nuke this
code. Prism54 driver source *does* include WDS support because hey, the
firmware does. Why wouldn't it go in the driver? We haven't given WDS
much though anyway since it's also been low priority on our TODO list.

Is it already agreed among kdevelopers that even if certain chipsets
support WDS at the hardware/firmware level that another layer is going
to be used for it's support?

Now that prism54 driver is in bk2 if we (prism54 team) want to submit
patches for it, should we always patch against the latest bk snapshot?

Oh and if you get messages telling you your post is pending approval on
the prism54 list because you're not registered, don't worry, we're quick.

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84 A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E