Re: Hotplug with Kernel 2.6

From: Daniel Drake
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 04:52:47 EST

Hi,

Christoph Pleger wrote:
When I hotplug (or unplug) a USB mass storage device, I want to find out
which SCSI device (for example, /dev/sda or /dev/sdb) is (was) assigned
to that USB Device. Is it possible to do that with the help of the
variables which are passed to the hotplug scripts by the kernel?

Not a direct answer to your question, but you might want to try udev. You can set up rules so that your USB storage device always becomes /dev/usb_hard_disk or another name of your choosing (as well as the automatic /dev/sdX).

Daniel