Re: unionfs

From: Jörn Engel
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 07:21:36 EST

On Mon, 15 March 2004 12:35:25 +0100, Carsten Otte wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >FWIW, have a look at http://vserver.13thfloor.at/TBVFS
> I do really think this problem needs to be solved a different way: BSD-style
> union mount in VFS, no redirecting filesystem.
> I am planning to work on that during the 2.7. series. I do hope I will be able
> to write code clean enough for inclusion, lets see...

You could also have some sort of 'hidden symlink', i.e. something that
behaves just like a file but is in fact a link to some other
filesystem. If that other filesystem is not accessable, all
operations return -EIO.

Not sure if this is a sane solution, but it would make my cow-stuff
work across filesystems as well.

Jörn

--
Schrödinger's cat is <BLINK>not</BLINK> dead.
-- Illiad