Re: SATA on 2.4.x

From: Stefan Smietanowski
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 10:32:57 EST

Andrew Hogue wrote:
Hi,

I am using a via8237 southbridge with sata support. I know that there is
support for this in 2.6.x but I cannot use 2.6.x due to some
incompatibility with my hardware.

Is there a patch to allow the via 8237 sata controller to work for kernel
2.4.x ?

Thanks,

-- Andrew

I've used the libata driver for it (makes it appear as a SCSI device)
and it's worked fine for me but I've stopped using it after finding
out about trouble with that controller. If you have a second sata
controller on board, like a promise for instance, use that instead.

You still need libata in that case though.

Trouble with the controller is that three motherboards from three
manufacturers have eaten* three harddrives for me.

There are numerous threads on the net about people experiencing
similar effects as I did ..

// Stefan

* Ate = had to RMA.