Re: consistent_sync_for_cpu() and friends on ppc32

From: David S. Miller
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 15:39:59 EST

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:16:16 +0100
Olaf Hering <olh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> what is the fix for ppc32? This patch went into Linus tree:
> people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.4/2.6.4-mm1/broken-out/dma_sync_for_device-cpu.patch
> include/asm/pci.h: In function `pci_dma_sync_single_for_cpu':

Ben, can you work this out? I can make it compile by just making the
_for_cpu and _for_device routines behave identically to what the
consisten_sync{,_page}() stuff does now. But I'd much rather a ppc32
person implement it correctly and optimally.

In short, the _for_device routines should make sure cacheable data in
the cpu is fully visible to the DMA device, and _for_cpu should make
sure all device DMA is visible to the processor.