Re: dynamic sched timeslices

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 18:40:20 EST

Kurt Garloff <garloff@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I remember we had a more complete patch to allow tuning the scheduler
> > through sysctls in -mm once, though. Questions is why that one wasn't
> > merged and if the same reasons apply to a 'light' version.
>
> Hmm, I fail to remember unfortunately. Probably it had too many knobs.
> Andrew?

It had a zillion knobs, and was mainly for developers.

Your patch didn't come with any subjective or measured testing results. In
theory, the scheduler should magically tune itself to the current workload.
If your patch is indeed necessary then this may point at a bug in the
current CPU scheduler.

Please tell us more...