Re: Remove pmdisk from kernel

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 21:18:40 EST

Hi.

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 13:56, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Most of those changes are hooks to make the freezer for more reliable.
> > That part of the functionality could be isolated from the bulk of
> > suspend2. Would that make you happy?
>
> Yes, that would be very good. It would make it easy to see actual
> changes..
>
> [I still do not understand why those hooks are neccessary... kill
> -SIGSTOP works, right?]

Not always. Take for example the case where you have an NFS mount and
happen to be doing an ls when the suspend cycle is started. If you
signal the NFSd threads before the ls thread, the NFS threads will
refrigerate okay, but the ls thread will fail to stop because it's
waiting for data from the nfsd threads.

The best way to test the reliability of the current freezer
implementation is to grab Michael's test patches. They can load the
system down with NFS access, kernel compiles, benchmarks and so on.
You'll quickly see the freezer fail. My implementation handles those
loads flawlessly, and where problems are found, they're easily fixed.

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
C/- Westminster Presbyterian Church Belconnen

Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable events occur
with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and no one is given credit.