Mouse wheel problems again...

From: Toby A Inkster
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 21:18:41 EST

Dear all,

Am having problems using my mouse wheel on 2.6.3, when it worked fine in
2.4.24.

Technically it's not a mouse, but a trackball. And technically not a wheel,
but a couple of buttons. But this shouldn't make any difference, should it?

When I click the scroll buttons they are both treated as middle-click (button
2) when they should be treated as scrolling (buttons 4 and 5) -- this is
according to xev.

The mouse is plugged into the PS/2 port, but I also have the USB mouse stuff
compiled as a module just in case I change my mind.

I think I've tried most of the suggestions I could find in the archive and
on Google.

Using hexdump on /dev/input/mice, the signals sent for up and down scroll
buttons seem identical to each other.

Here is some (possibly relevent) information:

[tai@ophelia (pts/1) ~]$ cat /boot/config | grep -i mouse ; echo ''
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
# CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_INPORT is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_LOGIBM is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_PC110PAD is not set
CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=m

[tai@ophelia (pts/1) ~]$ dmesg | grep -i mouse ; echo ''
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: PS/2 Logitech Mouse on isa0060/serio1

[tai@ophelia (pts/1) input]$ cat /proc/bus/input/devices|tac|tail -n 8|tac
I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=006d
N: Name="PS/2 Logitech Mouse"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
H: Handlers=mouse0
B: EV=7
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=3

And here's some stuff from XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection
# [...]
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
Screen "screen1"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Any suggesitons?

Thanks in advance for any light than can be shed.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Q: WHY DO ELEPHANTS HAVE BIG EARS?