Re: Prism54 Driver Project Complete

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 02:09:03 EST

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
Well in that case we'll also act as the "official" prism54 patch
recipients/senders. And by "we" I mean any of the prism54 developers
listed on our project page. We can do this but we can only do this if the
patches are sent to *us* based on clean bk trees. It's important that
patches are sent to *us* prior to inclusion in the kernel since this
driver is not the normal 1-file driver. If a patch goes into the driver
in the kernel tree but not ours it's going to be a pain mantaining our
tree / writing patches for you (as was done just now), specially since
we're still a heavily active driver project.

That's not scalable, since the upstream tree should not bottleneck on another tree.

If "prism54 dev team" are active maintainers, and respond to feedback and users patches, _most_ patches will come from you. But this is never a guarantee... Also, you should expect that developers often work exclusively with the upstream tree, so patches from outside developers will be diff'd against latest upstream BK.

I think we all want the same thing... a decent prism54 maintained by folks that know it best. For the prism54 dev team, that means keeping track of any upstream changes. For the Linux community's part, the standard etiquette is to mail a patch to the driver's maintainer. Sometimes this etiquette is bypassed for stuff like: first-time merges, changes that affect large numbers of drivers (of which prism54 just happens to be one of) in Linux, and simple build fixes from architecture maintainers.

Jeff