Re: [RFC][2.6] Additional i2c adapter flags for i2c client isolation

From: Greg KH
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 10:52:40 EST

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:25:25AM +0100, Michael Hunold wrote:
> Here, all client drivers are unconditionally told to try and attach to
> the adapter. There is no way that an i2c adapter can keep an i2c driver
> away from the bus.

Yes, but the different i2c chip drivers all check for the class setting
to be correct before they really do anything, right?

> Currently, adapters can already specify a class, for DVB
> I2C_ADAP_CLASS_TV_DIGITAL matches perfectly.

Yes, and that is what you should check for. It's a bug if any of the
non-DVB i2c drivers probe devices with the .class set to
I2C_ADAP_CLASS_TV_DIGITAL. Fix that and you should be fine, right?

> What I'd like to have is that client can specify some sort of "class",
> too, and that i2c adapters can tell the core that only clients where the
> class is matching are allowed to probe their existence.

Yeah, right now it's up to the chip drivers to be honest. If you want
to implement a change to do this instead, I'll be glad to apply it.

thanks,

greg k-h