Re: finding out the value of HZ from userspace

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 18:58:12 EST

> These programs could (and should) use sysconfig(_SC_CLK_TCK) to find out
> how many ticks there are in a second so this does not constitute a good
> reason for USER_HZ not being equal to HZ.

These programs are usually shell scripts that initialise some sysctls.
It's not easy to call sysconf from there. Also we tend to avoid breaking
things that would fail silently instead of failing with an obvious error
message. This would be such a case. Silent breakage is an extremly bad
thing.

-Andi