Re: Dealing with swsusp vs. pmdisk

From: Jan Rychter
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 05:24:37 EST

[...]
Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx>:
>> Pavel, what do you think of the swsusp2 patch, BTW? My biggest
>> complaint about it is that since it's maintained outside of the
>> kernel, it's constantly behind about 0.75 revisions behind the
>> latest 2.6 release. The feature set of swsusp2, if they can ever
>> get it completely bugfree(tm) is certainly impressive.

Pavel> My biggest problem with swsusp2 is that it is big. Also last
Pavel> time I looked it had some ugly hooks sprinkled all over the
Pavel> kernel. Then there are some features I don't like (graphical
Pavel> screens with progress, escape-to-abort) and
Pavel> ithasvariableslikethis. OTOH it supports highmem and smp.

It also has the advantage of working extremely reliably on 2.4 (and a
large part of the code base is shared, so that's a significant data
point). I couldn't get it to crash or do anything bad for months now,
and I'm doing at least several suspend/resumes a day on my laptop.

Also, thanks to the excellent compression feature, suspend/resume times
are very short and in fact competitive with suspend-to-ram schemes.

I think it's better not to mix personal preferences (such as the
escape-to-abort thing) with technical discussions. On a practical level,
swsusp2 is the only implementation which works reliably, does its job
very well, and has a responsive maintainer willing to fix problems as
they arise.

--J.