Re: sched_setaffinity usability

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 07:34:36 EST

* Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > or, maybe it would be better to introduce some sort of 'system
> > constants' syscall that would be a generic umbrella for such things -
> > and could easily be converted into a vsyscall. Or we could make it part
> > of the .data section of the VDSO - thus no copying overhead, only one
> > symbol lookup.
>
> Like, umm, the long overdue sysconf()? For the time beeing a sysctl
> might be the easiest thing..

i think we want to kill several birds with a single stone, and just make
it part of the VDSO - along with the parameters visible via uname().
This would cut another extra syscall, and data copying.

i'm wondering how dangerous of an API idea it is to make these
parameters part of the VDSO .data section (and make it/them versioned
DSO symbols).

The only minor complication wrt. uname() would be sethostname: other
CPUs could observe a transitional state of (the VDSO-equavalent of)
system_utsname.nodename. Is this a problem? It's not like systems call
sethostname all that often ...

Ingo