Re: 2.6.3/scsi: Unexpected busfree while idle

From: Baecker
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 09:08:58 EST

Hi!

> Hi all,
>
> what does the following message mean (during scsi init at boot)?
>
> scsi0: Unexpected busfree while idle
> SEQADDR == 0x1
>
> It appears each second or so, and the system can't move on. It only
happens if
> a specific drive is on the scsi bus.
>
> Does it mean that drive is broken?

Not necessarily. It might just fail to meet the timing specification the
controller is demanding.
A similar effect occured with my scanner attached to a adaptec
controller. BTW, which brand is your controller?

> The scsi bios (during system bootup, before linux) detects all discs
properly
> (including this one), and in the scsi bios i can "veryfiy media" and
it
> doesn't complain.

You might want to try whether the following is working - within the
computers BIOS setup disable both external and internal caching
temporarily. This makes the system extremely sloooooooooooow - but it
made my scanner working. (That's no solution, of course! -- Just a
way to trace the problem.)

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Florian

Hope it works,