Re: CDFS

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 12:08:40 EST

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> > > You did try to search for it, right?
> > >

> > Sure did and what I get was an explaination that, for
> > Linux, the letters "CDFS" refer to something that "exports
> > all the tracks and boot images of a CD as normal files".
> >
> > That's not what I want. I want to mount a CDFS file-system.
> >
> > Given that, maybe the explaination is bogus, but I
> > need some CDFS file-system support so I can mount
> > a Microsoft CDFS CD/ROM. If such support exists, I
> > would think that I should be able to do:
> >
> > mount -t cdfs /dev/cdrom /mnt
>
> Unless something has changed seriously in just a few years, the name CDFS
> was always just a Microsoft synonym for the proper name iso9660. The Linux
> name CDFS is the filesystem which Randy pointed you at, for mounting
> multi-session CDs and accessing individual sessions as files (iso images).

Mounting it as an iso9660 fs doesn't work.

> So, if you have what Microsoft calls CDFS then it is simply iso9660 and if
> it doesn't mount then either your CD is damaged (and you only get a false
> "impression" of it working in Windows) or there is a bug in Linux iso9660
> implementation. What are the error messages you get when you try to mount
> it as an iso9660?

Script started on Fri Mar 19 12:01:38 2004
# umount /mnt
# umount /mnt
umount: /mnt: not mounted
# umount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
or too many mounted file systems
# exit
Script done on Fri Mar 19 12:04:49 2004

> (You didn't forget to compile Joliet and RR extensions into your kernel,
> did you?)

Nope.

> Kind regards
> Tigran

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.24 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).