Re: True fsync() in Linux (on IDE)

From: Matthias Andree
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 17:06:52 EST

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Peter Zaitsev wrote:

> If file system would guaranty atomicity of write() calls (synchronous
> would be enough) we could disable it and get good extra performance.

Berkeley DB 4.2.52 for instance documents that page writes (of data base
pages) must be atomic, hence, if the data base page size is larger than
what the FS can write atomically, a crash may leave the data base in a
non-recoverable (catastrophic) state. (This assumes using the
write-ahead logging "Berkeley DB Transactional Data Store" mode of
operation, the other modes aren't recoveable after crash anyways.)

--
Matthias Andree