Re: ANYONE? Re: SMP + Hyperthreading / Asus PCDL Deluxe / Kernel 2.4.x 2.6.x / Crash/Freeze

From: Richard Browning
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 12:27:13 EST

On Saturday 20 March 2004 14:33, Richard Browning wrote:
> Is there anyone in kernelland who is tackling this? I'm currently in the
> throes of recompiling everything with -march=pentium3 -O2 to see if these
> simple flags make a difference (as I reiterate, Windoze XP works without
> problem). I refuse to believe that I will have to use XP in order to get my
> money's worth. I've always thought anything Doze can do, GNU/Linux does
> better!

It's been pointed out to me that this Doze-vs-Linux comparison won't help. If
you're offended by it, please don't be. I've been a supporter and contributer
to the GNU cause for the last six years and I'm not going to stop. However
this is the first serious issue that I've come across re: the kernel and
incompatible hardware and I would like to see it fixed. Like I've said, I
want to help pinpoint the problem - but no-one's asking.