Re: can device drivers return non-ram via vm_ops->nopage?

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 15:54:03 EST

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 12:13:45PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> I agree that ->nopage implementations should not be doing what that driver
> is doing. ->nopage is defined to return a page*: it's crazy to be
> returning someting from there which isn't covered by mem_map[].
> I just don't think it's important enough to be able to cope with
> non-mem_map[] "memory" in do_no_page(), so I agree that requiring ->mmap()
> to synchronously instantiate the pte's and retaining the debug check in
> do_no_page() is a good idea.

There are other reasons for doing it, e.g. unusual TLB attributes
and/or unusual pagetable structures backing the virtual region. I don't
see anyone standing up and screaming for more functionality than cache
coherency and/or disablement now, so as far as I'm concerned,
remap_area_pages() (or rmk's stuff) kills the issue.

-- wli