Re: can device drivers return non-ram via vm_ops->nopage?

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 17:46:41 EST

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 10:26:39PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> I'm no longer planning on this. In fact, I see a future where I tell
> people who want to use sound on ARM to go screw themselves because
> there doesn't seem to be an acceptable solution to this problem.
> Of course, this will lead to dirty hacks by many people who *REQUIRE*
> sound to work, but I guess we just don't care about that.
> (Yes, I'm pissed off over this issue.)

This is the exact opposite of what I'd hoped come of this discussion.
ISTR something about remap_area_pages() missing several pieces, but
I pretty much need some kind of clarification to know what. Well, that,
and I presumed your fixups for ALSA were headed toward mainline
regardless after coping with whatever issue dwmw2 had (e.g. returning
pfn's or something).

-- wli