Re: fixmap TLB flushing clarification

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 05:32:51 EST

I'm curious about the last statement, is this to mean that a TLB entry will
be reserved at set_fixmap() time in which the translation will happen, and
that particular entry will be locked down for the duration of the mapping?

No. fixmap mappings are global - identical for all processes and all cpus. Therefore it's not necessary to flush them during a task switch. But that's just an optimization, not a mandatory feature:
On x86 it's possible to mark page table entries as global. Global entries are not flushed by the normal tlb flush command, this gives a slighly better performance. If your architecture doesn't support that, then you can just flush everything during a task switch. I think the support for global entries was added for the Pentium cpus - 80486 cpus flush the whole tlb cache during a task switch.

--
Manfred