Changing kernel uncompressing address

From: Alexander Simon
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 05:51:49 EST

Hi!

I have an old Toshiba Satellie Pro Laptop with broken RAM.
I thought it could be no problem getting it to work with the BadRAM patch.
But first RAM Errors occur at 2M and last until 32M
Unfornately, the RAM Chips are on board, so no chance of replacing them.
When I try to load a kernel image from diskette, it unpacks the kernel image without errors. But when it tries to start that kernel it stops or reboots.
If I keep the kernel very very small, it starts, but I would have to exclude TCP/IP code, causing the system unusable.

After studying arch/i386/boot/compressed/head.S and misc.c of 2.4.24 for a long time, i found out that the kernel is uncompressed to 0x100000.
Stupidly, I'm not familiar with assembler code. So I just changed the 0x100000 to 0xF00000 (should be 16M?!? memtest86 reported the range 15M-18M OK, however...) in line 77 in head.S and line 309 in misc.c.
Of couse it did NOT work :[.
I would need to high loaded kernel anyway, again because of TCP/IP.

Thanks for any ideas