Re: locking user space memory in kernel

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 09:14:26 EST

Arjan wrote:

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 12:18, Eli Cohen wrote:
Hi,
I need to be able to lock memory allocated in user space and passed to my driver, in order to pass it to a dma controller that can maintain a translation table for each process. The obvious thing is to use

the linux way is to do it the other way around, provide a device that
userspace then can mmap......

That's definitively the preferred method, but unfortunately there are existing apis that are the other way around. I think the main MPI transfer functions must read/write to arbitrary addresses, I'm sure there are other examples.

--
Manfred