Re: File change notification (enhanced dnotify)

From: Rüdiger Klaehn
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 11:01:46 EST

Horst von Brand wrote:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=FCdiger_Klaehn?= <rudi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Horst von Brand wrote:

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=FCdiger_Klaehn?= <rudi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

I am working on a mechanism to let programs watch for file system changes in large directory trees or on the whole system. Since my last post in january I have been trying various approaches.

How do you propose to handle the fact that there are changes to _files_,
which happen to be pointed to by entries in directories? There is no
"change in the directory tree" in Unix...

Of course it is files that change. But as you say each file is pointed to by one or more dentry, so I use the dentry hierarchy to propagate the information about the change. Just like the old dnotify.

dentries just keep the path travelled by hard links to get to the file in
memory for fast future access. So if you have, say:

dir1 dir2
| |
. .
. .
. .
\ /
somefile

and you referenced somefile by the path through dir1, if you monitor dir2
you won't notice the change. There is no on-disk data to trace back through
all the directories that reference the file, and reading all of the
filesystem's metadata to find this out is ludicrous (ever seen fsck(8)
taking an hour or so to make much the same?).

I am aware of that. As I mentioned, this approach does not work with hard links, just like the original dnotify.

From the current "Documentation/dnotify.txt":
"In order to make the impact on the file system code as small as possible, the problem of hard links to files has been ignored."

There would be some ways to solve this for hard links. But I don't think that it would be worth it since it would involve a big performance overhead for little gain.

Note that if you watch for changes in the root of a file system, you will get notified exactly once for each file change in the file system regardless of hard links.

In your example if you have one file which can be accessed via two different paths "/dir1/somefile" and "/dir2/somefile" and you watch "/" you would get notified for "/dir1/somefile" or "/dir2/somefile" depending on how the changing program accesses the file.

Figuring out that "/dir1/somefile" and "/dir2/somefile" refer to the same file should IMHO be done in userspace. If inode numbers were unique and persistent on all file systems it might be possible to do this efficiently in kernel space, but unfortunately this is not the case.

My original approach assumed that inode numbers were unique, and it would have worked with hard links. But I think it is much more important to have a mechanism that works for all file systems than to solve the problem of hard links.

best regards,

Rüdiger

By the way: I just made a small website for my enhanced dnotify mechanism. I will post my latest code there. It can be found at
<http://www.lambda-computing.com/~rudi/dnotify/>