Re: ATARAID/FakeRAID/HPTRAID/PDCRAID as dm targets?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 14:31:25 EST

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
Wilfried Weissmann wrote:

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 07:23:01PM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

Jeff Garzik wrote:

So go ahead, and I'll lend you as much help as I can. I have the
full Promise RAID docs, and it seems like another guy on the lists
has full Silicon Image "medley" RAID docs...

Jeff: May I request your docs?

Unfortunately not, but I can get you in touch with somebody at Promise who can. They're definitely interested in working with the open source community. Not public...

Well, I had something in mind which closely resembles the ataraid-detect
tool Thomas Horsten (Medley RAID) suggested.

http://lists.infowares.com/archive/medley/2004-February/000001.html

OK, I was even aiming for less: Write an ataraid-detect tool which outputs
the correct mapping for dmsetup. If I manage to write it generically
enough, it can be integrated into evms or used as a standalone program,
whatever you like.

That's pretty nice. Very Unix-ish: provide a small, pluggable piece that does one thing, and does it well.

1. its all within evms
There is no need for additional tools required to setup the volume
(thinking about installers and initrd...).

The EVMS sample initrd is HUGE. (2.1 MB) I'm aiming for a initrd size of
less than 1/10 of that.

Cool :)

4. nice clickety-click user interface
Especially useful for lazy people like me. ;)

I prefer the "no user interface" approach. But then again, I'm biased.

Agreed -- a minimal implementation is needed first anyway. The BIOS of these proprietary RAID thingies typically provides the user interface.

What do you think?

I'll use your work as a foundation. First step is integrating detection
for non-HPT arrays. If the code looks too messy after that, I still can
refactor it.

As soon as I have some code to get at least PDCRAID working, I'll post again.

Feel free to ask me questions, too.

Jeff