RE: spurious 8259A interrupt

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 05:44:59 EST

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

> Yes, I saw this your explanation. Thanks again. But, I am not getting
> those errors with local APIC disabled. That's why I thought "local APIC ->

Is the local APIC normally disabled, i.e. do you see a message like:
"Local APIC disabled by BIOS -- reenabling." when you boot with your local
APIC enabled? That might explain the difference.

> timer -> spurious interrupts." Maybe I am wrong. But I also can't see how
> enabling the lapic can cause, e.g., power supply glitches to become
> visible. I would be happy and grateful to hear an explanation.

I don't know what setup you are useing, but depending on the
implementation, the local APIC may treat ExtINTA interrupts as
level-triggered or as edge-triggered. The latter setup is a design error
in my opinion (the 8259A has a level-triggered output) and may lead to
what you observe. As the local APIC latches edge-triggered interrupts it
receives (unlike the 8259A) a glitch on an interrupt line does not have to
last long enough for a CPU to accept it for a spurious interrupt to be
recorded.