kernel 2.6.4: Bug in JFS file system?

From: Andreas Theofilu
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 14:08:13 EST

Hi to all,

Since kernel 2.6.4 I'm not able to access files with a special character
in the file name, such as the german umlaute. Every attempt to access such
a file gives me the error: cannot stat file

I'm using several partitions with JFS file system and had never seen such
a strange behavior before. The relevant kernel settings are at the bottom
of the mail.

I already unmounted the partition and run fsck on it (fsck.jfs -f
/dev/hda8), but it told me that everything is ok and I'm still not able to
access this files. Also a reboot of the machine didn't change anything. I
booted 2.6.3 again and renamed the files in question (no more special
characters in the file name). Now I can access these files with 2.6.4
also.

Allthough I'm a programmer, I'm not a kernel hacker and don't know where
to start looking for this problem. Could anybody give me a hint where to
start looking?

-------------------------
Kernel 2.6.4 settings (.config)
#