Re: Non-Exec stack patches

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 18:49:59 EST

Kurt Garloff <garloff@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> find attached a patch to parse the elf binaries for a PT_GNU_STACK
> section to set the stack non-executable if possible.

This patch propagates the PT_GNU_STACK setting into the vma flags, allowing
the architecture to set the stack permissions non-executable if the
architecture chooses to do that, yes?

Which architectures are currently making their pre-page execute permissions
depend upon VM_EXEC? Would additional arch patches be needed for this?

This may not get past Linus of course. It doesn't even get past me with
that magical undocumented -1/0/+1 value of the executable_stack argument.
Please replace that with a proper, commented, #defined-or-enumerated value,
thanks.