Re: -nice tree [was Re: [Swsusp-devel] Re: swsusp problems [was Re: Your opinion on the merge?]]

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 20:42:42 EST

On Ät 25-03-04 08:50:27, Michael Frank wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 01:23:02 +0100, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >On Ät 25-03-04 07:56:14, Michael Frank wrote:
> >>On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 00:23:38 +0100, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> >>I am sure that better qualified and properly supported/sponsored
> >>individuals
> >>will queue up as long as it is an _official_ -nice tree with the good
> >>purpose
> >>of centralizing useful non-core functions :)
> >
> >I'd say that having official -anything tree is an oxymoron (is -ac
> >tree official? is -mm tree official?), but yes, I hope someone picks
> >this up
>
> -mm or -ac are "private trees", albeit very credible and at least -mm is
> experimental.

Having credible "private" -nice tree would be enough, I guess.

> >>Which is extremely ideal, but one thing at the time...
> >
> >Okay, lets not please add more of outside changes (for -linus merge).
>
> Fine by me as long as it works.
>
> Guess Nigel will come up with a spec soon and then it has to be decided
> what functions you want in -Linus.

My priorities are

* highmem support (there are notebooks with 2GB ram; I have one too
close to me)
[I have hacky patch for this for swsusp1; at least its short]

* smp support (HT notebooks are going to be more common, I'm afraid)

Important but not at price of modifying too many files outside
kernel/power

* refrigerator should work (but if you have NFS server mounted, and
its down, you are on your own)

* even if all memory is used, it should be possible to suspend

"If it is very non-intrusive it might go in"

* esc interrupts

* I'd say that one compression method should be enough for everyone

Features I'd prefer not to see in -linus kernel

* splashscreen

* /proc configuration
Pavel
[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]