Re: [ANNOUNCE] RNDIS Gadget Driver

From: David Brownell
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 17:57:04 EST

Robert Schwebel wrote:
David,

finally, here is our RNDIS USB Gadget Driver - see the attached patch
against the gadget-2.4 BK tree as of now. It shouldn't be too difficult
to port this to 2.6.

Yowsza! I've been looking forward to this ... :)

I'll look it over and see how the 2.6 merge goes, and probably run
some revisions by you. The autoconfiguration updates will make this
more complicated, since g_ether is starting to support a more dynamic
configuration model; the HH.org crew need that, so PDA Linux distros
don't need to hard-wire as much knowledge about hardware targets
into their kernels.

The patch adds support for Microsoft's RNDIS protocol to the standard
g_ether driver. This makes it possible to connect a Linux USB gadget to
any standard Windows machine and <*PALIM!*> there is a new USB network
interface on the Windows side on which you can speak TCP/IP :-)

Which is exactly what a lot of Linux solution providers need to see;
I'm sure this will get a lot of use. Applause!

(Although I personally would prefer that Microsoft adopt vendor-neutral
protocols, instead of pushing the rest of the industry to adopt things
that are MSFT-biased ... for some reason, they haven't listened to almost
anyone on such topics. Oh well. ;)

Unfortunately, although it works with the original Microsoft driver, you
need an inf file on the windows side; you can download the template for
that directly from M$.

Thanks to Auerswald GmbH for sponsoring this work!

I'll add them to the official "thank you" list on the
http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget webpage.

- Dave

Robert