Re: "Enhanced" MD code avaible for review

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 19:18:16 EST

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:

Just so there is no confusion... the "failing over...in userland" thing I
mention is _only_ during discovery of the root disk.

None of the solutions being talked about perform "failing over" in
userland. The RAID transforms which perform this operation are kernel
resident in DM, MD, and EMD. Perhaps you are talking about spare
activation and rebuild?

This is precisely why I sent the second email, and made the qualification I did :)

For a "do it in userland" solution, an initrd or initramfs piece examines the system configuration, and assembles physical disks into RAID arrays based on the information it finds. I was mainly implying that an initrd solution would have to provide some primitive failover initially, before the kernel is bootstrapped... much like a bootloader that supports booting off a RAID1 array would need to do.

Jeff