Re: -nice tree [was Re: [Swsusp-devel] Re: swsusp problems [was Re: Your opinion on the merge?]]

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 17:23:57 EST

Hi!

> Good morning.

Its around midnight here :-).

> > > /proc is needed a lot
> > >
> > > - enable escape
> > > - select reboot mode
> > > which is essential for multibooting. We use it all the time to
> > > boot various installations of Linux
> >
> > Perhaps reboot() can have parameter for that.
>
> Sounds feasible. Who maintains the package with reboot/shutdown and so
> on?

On my system it says:

AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@xxxxxxxxxx

There was even patch to do shutdown -z, or something like that... And
binary that calls it should be easy, too.

> > > - select compression none, lzw or gzip
> > > none is used when disk faster that cpu-limited lzf
> > > lzf is used when cpu is fast enough to compress to disk
> > > Fast CPU can do 100MB/s+ to 50MB/s drives
> > > gzip is used by some who care about image size eg flash users
> >
> > If you are doing "resume=swap:<something>", why not "resume=lzw-swap:something"?
>
> Because it's ugly? resume= is supposed to specify where the image's
> header is found, nothing more. More than that, though, doing this still
> doesn't solve the issue of how to enable/disable a compressor (or
> encryption when such a plugin appears) after booting. (Yes, I know - you
> don't want that much flexibility).

You are right, that would be ugly. How is encryption supposed to work,
kernel asks you to type in a key?

Okay, when there's more than one output plugin, some kind of file
interface is probably good.

> > > - default console level
> > > Controls console messages or nice display
> > > - access debug info header
> > > This is needed to analyze swsusp2 performance
> > > - access resume parameters
> > > Saves a reboot when changing parameters
> > > - activate
> > > swsusp2 activation independent of apci, apm
> >
> > Should not be needed. There's reboot() syscall to do that.
>
> That's fine once we get one implementation. For now, I've been trying to
> play nicely with swsusp and pmdisk. That's why I used resume2= and its
> also why I supported 13 headers; I needed to recognise pmdisk and swsusp
> headers so that I could know to ignore them (I tried leaving swsusp
> first in the boot order, and it paniced when I'd suspended from suspend2
> because it didn't recognise the header format).

Okay, we really should have only one implementation.
Pavel

[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]