Re: logging in kernel

From: Karim Yaghmour
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 00:49:42 EST

khandelw@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,
I am a graudate student at Florida State University. My friends and my self
are planning to implement a kernel logger for linux kernel (real-time systems).
We are new to linux kernel programming and we have not done kernel programming.
We believe right now most of the system are using printk. We want to write a
tool which can be used for debugging as well as logging of data in the future.
Following are the things that we have in mind so far.

1. Implement the logging daemon or the server as a periodic task in the
real-time system.
2. Have an api which looks similar to printk
3. Have an option to specify the write the network card or console or a
dedicated device.
4. Use it for checkpointing in distributed system.

There have been quite a few things done in this area already. For starters,
you may want to take a look at the Linux Trace Toolkit and the underlying
mechanism, relayfs:
http://www.opersys.com/ltt/index.html
http://www.opersys.com/relayfs/index.html

Karim
--
Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits