Re: Status of the sata_sil driver for the VT8237

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 22:18:37 EST

J. Ryan Earl wrote:
I was wondering, what is the state of the sata_sil driver for the VIA VT8237 southbridge (ie the one used commonly on their K8T motherboards). Is this still beta? Any known problems with it?

Well prior to the most recent version, calling it "beta" was putting it kindly. I would call it broken :) which was why it was marked with CONFIG_BROKEN...

As of the most recent 2.6.5-rc2-bk snapshots, libata and sata_sil should be pretty happy with each other.

Some of the VIA problems were actually platform-related. "noapic", "nomce", turning -on- local APIC support, and a few other workarounds have been found for these.

If you're on x86-64, make sure you have the latest BIOS version, too.

Jeff