Re: Problems with my parport (and printer)

From: DervishD
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 13:13:01 EST

Hi Jan :)

* Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> > kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
> > kernel: parport0: Printer, Lexmark International Lexmark Optra E312
> > kernel: lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
> > kernel: lp0: console ready
> > It works ok, BTW... The problem is that, when the printer is
> > switched of and I try to print something, the print command just
> > blocks, no error, no messages, nothing. I use a shell function to
> First of all, if you want to do normal printing, you shouldn't switch on
> LP console. From there on, all kernel debug output (as seen in
> /var/log/kern.log and outputted with "dmesg") would be sent to the
> printer, what isn't exactly what you want to have.

That's right, but LP console must be activated at boot time (or
at module-loading time) AFAIK, so this is not the problem.

> > Why this operation doesn't fail? IMHO, it should fail with
> > ENODEV, because parport can work (the parallel port is there...), but
> > lp shouldn't (the printer is switched off...).
> Another gotcha may be that your printer doesn't easily accept commands.
> Many printers don't do that nowadays. Some are dumb GDI-Printerts
> (Windows-only, that is...), some nees specific wake-up sequences.

This printer (Lexmark Optra E312) is not a winprinter, and the
problem is not related to commands. The printer works fine, I have no
problems with that. My problem arises when the printer is offline:
when I send data to the printer and it is not connected, the command
used to send that data doesn't fail, just waits forever...

Thanks for your answer anyway :) Really I'm not familiar with the
parallel port :(

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736