Re: failure to mount root fs

From: Marcos D. Marado Torres
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 09:44:09 EST

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 13:29, tigran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hi Macro,
> >
> > You wrote:
> >
> > > VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> > > kernel /boot/bzImage-2.6.4 ro root=LABEL=/
> >
> > The "LABEL=/" is the attempt to mount root filesystem by label, so you can
> > move it to another disk. I find these "clever" things not mature yet and always replace it by an explicit device name (and don't move/replace root disk):
>
> it's ok as long as you remember to make an initrd (make install in the
> kernel source will do so automatic, at least on a RH/Fedora system)

It doesn't solve the problem, I have the same issue... And seeing kerneltrap
forums, we're not the only ones.
I fixed that problem by changing .config (it seems that oldconfig messed it) to
show:

CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y

Now I don't get the
VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

but when booting, it shows:

and then just freezes.

Any thoughts on this?
(if needed, my config is in http://student.dei.uc.pt/~marado/.config )

Best regards,
Mind Booster Noori

- --
Marcos Daniel Marado Torres AKA Mind Booster Noori
/"\ http://student.dei.uc.pt/~marado
\ / marado@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
X ASCII Ribbon Campaign
/ \ against HTML e-mail and Micro$oft attachments