Re: pdflush and dm-crypt

From: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 10:04:21 EST

Dnia Monday 29 of March 2004 16:50, Zoltan NAGY napisał:

> I've just upgraded the system to 2.6.5-rc2-bk6, and I'm using
> dm-crypt. It's a heavily used server, on average 20-30mbit/sec
> traffic is on the wire 7/24, and just noticed, that the load is very
> high. In every 4-5 sec pdflush takes a lot of cpu... Is this
> intentional? I've found a similar question on kerneltrap
> (http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/2756), but havent found a solution
> yet. I'm just wondering if it is a problem, or it's the normal
> behavior? It's a 1.8 P4 with 1G ram and highmem enabled, with 256 bit
> aes thru dm-crypt.
Same here (duron 1.2GHz, 512MB ram, IDE disks (via and promise controllers))
and it doesn't matter if I'm using cryptoloop or dm-crypt.

System hangs for about one seconds (xmms stops playing, xterms are not
responding to key presses) and then everything back to normal until next hang
happens (in few seconds).

> Zoltan NAGY,
> Network Administrator

ps. I'm not sure (didn't do any checking to be sure) but afaik this started to
happening with 2.6.3 kernel.
--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz CS at FoE, Wroclaw University of Technology
arekm.pld-linux.org, 1024/3DB19BBD, JID: arekm.jabber.org, PLD/Linux