2.6.5-rc3-aa1

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 22:13:59 EST

The xfs warning during truncate will be fixed with a later update
(Nathan is currently working on it).

next thing to do is to fixup the merging in mprotect.

In the meantime this is already mergeable in -mm if Andrew is
interested.

I'm not touching mremap at this time (i'll reistantiate the merging in
mprotect first, then Hugh testcase will work as well as in mainline). I
wait comments on the truncate/mremap race fixes (they clearly partly
collides with prio-tree but part of them seems shareable). That race
isn't trivial to fix but at the same time it doesn't worry me much right
now. I could add the semaphore, but mremap is an extreme fast path for
some workload like apache, so I'm not going to risk a
scalability-slowdown in there with an obviously safe patch of taking the
i_shared_sem semaphore, because even if that race triggers the kernel
shouldn't crash anymore.

http://www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.6/2.6.5-rc3-aa1/

Changelog diff between 2.6.5-rc2-aa6 and 2.6.5-rc3-aa1:

Files 2.6.5-rc2-aa6/anon-vma.gz and 2.6.5-rc3-aa1/anon-vma.gz differ

Track anonymous pages generated by cows on dma regions
(bug spotted by Hugh Dickins).

Files 2.6.5-rc2-aa6/extraversion and 2.6.5-rc3-aa1/extraversion differ

Rediffed.

Only in 2.6.5-rc3-aa1: initramfs-search-for-init

Initramfs handy patch from -mm.

Files 2.6.5-rc2-aa6/prio-tree.gz and 2.6.5-rc3-aa1/prio-tree.gz differ

Fix xfs to check nonlinear mappings too.

Fix x86-64 compilation.

Only in 2.6.5-rc3-aa1: tag-writeback-pages-fix.patch.gz

Avoid crashes in rw_swap_page_sync due -mm writeback changes,
final (more highlevel) fix from Andrew.