2.6.5-rc3-mjb1

From: Martin J. Bligh
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 01:18:05 EST

The patchset is meant to be pretty stable, not so much a testing ground.
Main differences from mainline are:

1. Better performance & resource consumption, particularly on larger machines.
2. Diagnosis tools (kgdb, early_printk, etc).
3. Updated arch support for AMD64 + PPC64.
4. Better support for sound, especially OSS emulation over ALSA.
5. Better support for video (v4l2, bttv, ivtv).
6. Kexec support.

I'd be very interested in feedback from anyone willing to test on any
platform, however large or small.

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mbligh/2.6.5-rc3/patch-2.6.5-rc3-mjb1.bz2

Since 2.6.4-mjb1 (~ = changed, + = added, - = dropped)

Notes:

Humpf. Carnage. Merging up to -rc3 was no fun at all, and lots of stuff has
temporarily dropped out until I get my act together (most visibly, 4/4 split,
filesystem AIO, and vsyscall gettimeofday).

On the upside, I've picked up Hugh's anon_mm changes ... purely because
they're simpler than anon_vma (which is more like what I originally had
in mind).

Now in Linus' tree:

- netpoll Jeff Garzik / mpm
- lotsa_sds Badari
- build_options_on_oops Andrew Morton
- distribute_boot_allocs Manfred Spraul

Dropped:

- 4g4g Ingo Molnar
- 4g_zap_low_mappings Martin Lorenz
- 4g4g_locked_copy Dave McCracken
Will come back as soon as I've got it merged.
- per_node_rss Matt Dobson
Didn't merge clean for some reason
- vgtod1 John Stultz
- vgtod2 John Stultz
- vgtod3 John Stultz
Depended on 4/4 split to go in cleanly
- objrmap_fixes Andrea
- ioremap Martin / Andy Whitcroft
Andy says he's fixed world hunger in a neater way (zone_gap)
- aio-retry Suparna, Janet, et al.
- 4g4g-aio-hang-fix
- aio-retry-elevated-refcount
- aio-splice-runlist
- aio-wait-page
- aio-fs_read
- aio-upfront-readahead
- O_SYNC-speedup
- aio-O_SYNC
- gang_lookup_next
- aio-gang_lookup-fix
- aio-O_SYNC-short-write
- aio-read-immediate
Filesystem AIO support ... damned if I can work out what's up here.
- schedstats Rick Lindsley
I need to pick up his new version. Bad Martin.
- aio_cancel_fix Chris Mason
- aio_pipe Chris Mason
- raw Badari

New:

~ scheduler_2.6.5_rc3_mm1 Nick Piggin
New version of sched_domains code from 2.6.5_rc3_mm1
+ 4k_stacks Arjan / Dave H / bcrl
+ anon_mm2 Hugh Dickins
+ anon_mm3 Hugh Dickins
+ anon_mm4 Hugh Dickins
+ anon_mm5 Hugh Dickins
+ anon_mm6 Hugh Dickins
+ anon_mm7 Hugh Dickins
+ anon_mm8 Hugh Dickins
~ sysfs_backing_store1 Maneesh Soni
~ sysfs_backing_store2 Maneesh Soni
~ sysfs_backing_store3 Maneesh Soni
~ sysfs_backing_store4 Maneesh Soni
~ sysfs_backing_store5 Maneesh Soni
~ sysfs_backing_store6 Maneesh Soni
Make sysfs more efficient in its usage of lowmem
(picked up new version 0.3a)

~ ivtv Kevin Thayer / Steven Fuerst
Driver for ivtv (includes Hauppauge PVR 250 / 350)
Written by Kevin Thayer, ported to 2.6 by Steven Fuerst
+ sched_tunables R. Love / Darren Hart
Provide sched tunables to play with on a rainy day.
+ zone_gap Andy Whitcroft
Fix up the gap between ZONE_NORMAL and ZONE_HIGHMEM on NUMA.
+ max_mp_busses James Cleverdon
Increase MAX_MP_BUSSES

Pending:
4/4 split
vsyscall gettimeofday
per_node_rss
implicit_huge_pages
hugetlb_dyn_as
schedstats
local_balance_exec
reluctance in cross-node balance (less_bouncy)
sched tunables patch
emulex update
NUMA membinding API
x86_64 update
config_numasched
sched tunables (reinstante)
list_of_lists
Child runs first (akpm)
Netdump

Present in this patch:

-mjb Martin J. Bligh
Add a tag to the makefile

kgdb Various
Stolen from akpm's 2.6.0-mm1, includes fixes

kgdboe_netpoll Matt Mackall et al.
Kgdb over ethernet support that works with the netpoll infrastructure

kgdboe_build_fix Andrew Morton
Fix kgdboe stuff so non-ia32 platforms build

kgdb_x86_64 Jim Houston
Support kgdb on x86_64

kgdb_gdb6_patches Jim Houston
Patches for gdb to support kgdb on x86_64, under scripts/kgdb/

ppc64_reloc_hide Anton Blanchard / Paul Mackerras
PPC 64 fixups

spinlock_inlining Andrew Morton & Martin J. Bligh
Inline spinlocks for profiling. Made into a ugly config option by me.

lockmeter John Hawkes / Hanna Linder
Locking stats.

lockmeter_ia64 Ray Bryant
Add a config option for lockmeter on ia64

oops_dump_preceding_code Andrew Morton
dump opcodes preceding and after the offending EIP.

scheduler_2.6.5_rc3_mm1 Nick Piggin
sched_domains code

4k_stacks Arjan / Dave H / bcrl
Provide an option to use 4k kernel stacks instead of 8k

confighz Andrew Morton / Dave Hansen
Make HZ a config option of 100 Hz or 1000 Hz

config_page_offset Dave Hansen / Andrea
Make PAGE_OFFSET a config option

numameminfo Martin Bligh / Keith Mannthey
Expose NUMA meminfo information under /proc/meminfo.numa

partial_objrmap Dave McCracken
Object based rmap for filebacked pages.

anon_mm2 Hugh Dickins
anon_mm3 Hugh Dickins
anon_mm4 Hugh Dickins
anon_mm5 Hugh Dickins
anon_mm6 Hugh Dickins
anon_mm7 Hugh Dickins
anon_mm8 Hugh Dickins
Object based rmap for anonymous memory

disable preempt Martin J. Bligh
I broke preempt somehow, temporarily disable it to stop accidents

aiofix2 Mingming Cao
fixed a bug in ioctx_alloc()

percpu_real_loadavg Dave Hansen / Martin J. Bligh
Tell me what the real load average is, and tell me per cpu.

gfp_node_strict Dave Hansen
Add a node strict binding as a gfp mask option

irqbal_fast Adam Litke
Balance IRQs more readily

kcg Adam Litke
Acylic call graphs from the kernel. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!

kcg_gcc_detect Adam Litke
Detect older gcc versions that don't work with mcount, and crap out

numa_mem_equals Dave Hansen
mem= command line parameter NUMA awareness.

autoswap Con Kolivas
Auto-tune swapiness

emulex driver Emulex
Driver for emulex fiberchannel cards

multiple_emulex Mike Anderson
Allow multiple Emulex cards

protocol254 Paul Mackerras / Omkhar
Allow protocol 254

slabtune Dave McCracken
Take slab in bigger bites on larger machines

topdown Bill Irwin
Turn userspace upside down for fun & profit

stacktrace Adam Litke
Stack backtracing via frame pointers

fasync_lock_rcu Manfred Spraul
Use RCU for fasync_lock

kexec Eric Biederman et al.
Exec a kernel for breakfast today.

lockmeter_notsc Martin J. Bligh
Lockmeter does not require CONFIG_X86_TSC.

tiocgdev Gerd Knorr

vma_statistics Martin J. Bligh
Provide per VMA stats

per_task_TUB Adam Litke
Per task TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE

irq_vector James Cleverdon
Fix irq vector limits for Summit

ivtv Kevin Thayer / Steven Fuerst
Driver for ivtv (includes Hauppauge PVR 250 / 350)
Written by Kevin Thayer, ported to 2.6 by Steven Fuerst
Version 0.1.9

sysfs_backing_store1 Maneesh Soni
sysfs_backing_store2 Maneesh Soni
sysfs_backing_store3 Maneesh Soni
sysfs_backing_store4 Maneesh Soni
sysfs_backing_store5 Maneesh Soni
sysfs_backing_store6 Maneesh Soni
Make sysfs more efficient in its usage of lowmem

physnode_map Martin J. Bligh
Hack around problem of missing area in physnode_map