Re: ATARAID/FakeRAID/HPTRAID/PDCRAID as dm targets?

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 00:29:55 EST

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

Wilfried Weissmann wrote:

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 07:23:01PM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

Jeff Garzik wrote:

So go ahead, and I'll lend you as much help as I can. I have the
full Promise RAID docs, and it seems like another guy on the lists
has full Silicon Image "medley" RAID docs...

Jeff: May I request your docs?

Unfortunately not, but I can get you in touch with somebody at Promise
who can. They're definitely interested in working with the open source
community. Not public...

Could you please send me the contact information via private mail?
Thanks.

Will do.

I'll use your work as a foundation. First step is integrating detection
for non-HPT arrays. If the code looks too messy after that, I still can
refactor it.

As soon as I have some code to get at least PDCRAID working, I'll post
again.

Feel free to ask me questions, too.

OK. First question: calc_pdcblock_offset calculates the superblock
location based on capacity, sectors and heads. However, the same machine
which showed 255 heads under Kernel 2.4 now shows only 16 heads and some
of the hardcoded location calculation routines may fail. Is there a
userspace generic method for finding the right sector?
(It works sometimes for me.)

The standard method one uses to calculate cyl/head/sect in ATA, AFAIK. If that changes between 2.4 and 2.6, that sounds like a bug unrelated to the code you're writing...

Jeff