Re: libata problems on Promise SX4000 controller

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Apr 01 2004 - 13:18:50 EST

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
Hi,

I had problems getting my Promise SX4000 controller to run with libata.
First, I noticed libata refused to drive it (no associated PCI id). After
patching that (including the handler for the right chipset), a
"modprobe sata_promise" hung for about 15 minutes while initializing the
ECC RAM. It then recognized the one attached harddisk, but disk access was
not really possible (I gave up after waiting for half an hour or so).
Let me apologize for testing an older version of libata. At the time I had
the problems, it was the newest available version. I enabled debugging and
post the logs here in the hope that they might help supporting this
controller in the future.

A note about the controller itself: It has 4 Parallel ATA ports and no
Serial ATA ports. The controller sports the usual SoftRAID from Promise
(0,1,0+1 and 5). The RAID5 seems to be a new feature. I do not care about
the RAID (well, I do, I'm writing a dm configuration helper for it right
now), but I would like to access the drive.

Well, the main problem is that you are trying to drive a PATA controller with a SATA driver :)

If you wanted to list this as a feature request on http://bugzilla.kernel.org/ that might be reasonable...

I have no idea how different the PATA controllers are from the SATA one I tested. Although it does detect your device, I don't know what differences exist...

Jeff