Re: 2.6.4: disabling SCSI support not possible

From: Russell King
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 12:17:58 EST

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 08:59:41AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> No, this is the way it used to be, and it caused all kinds of problems
> in the past. It was switched to use 'select' on purpose, and should
> stay that way.

It's causing problems today by preventing people from being able to
de-select SCSI for no obvious reason.

It is far less intuitive to know you have to turn off USB_STORAGE
before you can turn off SCSI than to know that you have to turn on
SCSI before you can turn on USB_STORAGE.

If you wish to keep it this way, could we either have:

(a) a note in the SCSI help text to say that the option is forced
on by USB_STORAGE, so people know what to turn off.

or

(b) have kconfig tell you why you can't turn off the option.

Silently preventing options being turned off with no obvious reason
is a pretty major misfeature.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/