Re: capabilitiescompute_cred

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 15:22:25 EST

Chris Wright wrote:
IMHO, capabilities are a broken idea anyway, and should ultimately be
replaced entirely using Type Enforcement (which SELinux includes). A
comparison of the two approaches is in
http://www.securecomputing.com/pdf/secureos.pdf. Today we still stack
SELinux with the capabilities module, but long term, I'd like to see us
just drop capabilities and use TE by itself to manage privileges.

I have the same dislike for capabilities. It's more like a wart than
a feature. I get requests to have RBAC be the core priv system rather
than capabilities.

I agree in principle, but it would still be nice to have a simple way to have useful capabilities without setting up a MAC system. I don't see a capabilities fix adding any significant amount of code; it just takes some effort to get it right.

In the meantime, I've often idly wondered why we don't simply inherit as
advertised. The patch below does this, but I haven't even started
looking for security sensitive failure modes.

I'm not sure that introduces security problems, but I'm also not sure it fixes much. You can find my attempts to get it right in the linux-kernel archives, and I'll probably try to get something into 2.7 when it forks. With or without MAC, having a functioning capability system wouldn't hurt security.

thanks,
-chris