Re: 2.6.4 : 100% CPU use on EIDE disk operarion, VIA chipset

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 07:52:08 EST

Andreas Hartmann wrote:
Mikhail Ramendik wrote:

Hello,

I have an computer with an AMD Duron, and the motehrboard chipset is VIA
KT133. The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ; no other EIDE
devices are attached.

I run an RH9-based distro, and added a 2.6.4 kernel to it. The following
problem was tested with two kernel variants: 2.6.4+wolk2/0 with
preeemption enabled, and 2.6.4 plain from kernel.org with preemption
disabled. No difference.

I noticed performance problems with 2.6.4, and tracked them to strange
HDD behavior.

It turned out that on disk-intensive operation, the "system" CPU usage
skyrockets. With a mere "cp" of a large file to the same direstory
(tested with ext3fs and FAT32 file systems), it is 100% practically all
of the time !

Which tool do you use for measure? xosview?

I'm having here the same problem. But it depends on the tool which is used for measuring. If I use top from procps 3.2, I can't see this high system load. "time" can't see it, too.

This is what top says during cp of 512MB-file:
Cpu(s): 2.0% us, 8.3% sy, 0.0% ni, 0.0% id, 89.0% wa, 0.7% hi, 0.0% si

New is "wa", what probably means "wait". This value is very high as long as the HD is writing or reading datas:

cp dummy /dev/null
produces this top-line:
Cpu(s): 3.0% us, 5.3% sy, 0.0% ni, 0.0% id, 91.0% wa, 0.7% hi, 0.0% si

Yes "wa" is not intuitive, some other operating systems use "wio" for "wait i/o" time. As noted in the other thread, you can try the deadline elevator or increased readahead for your load.

and time says:
real 0m53.195s
user 0m0.013s
sys 0m2.124s

But you're right, 2.6.4 is slower than 2.4.25. See the thread "Very poor performance with 2.6.4" here in the list.

Much discussed, not overly fixed :-(

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc